Friday, April 08, 2011

Exodus 19: To do well in the presence of the God of Fire –Part 1: The Great Invitation

God appeared in Holy flames of fire first to Moses and then to the children of Israel. Moses' revelation of God as a flame was replicated by God and expanded on a larger scale. The leader's revelation of who God is will pass to the people. As God told moses, I this is holy ground, please do not look casually, do not treat me casually, so God also told the children of ISrael the same to put the reverence of Him in their hearts.

Exodus 19 starts with God and moses talking. There is a theme in exodus focusing on God's very intimate relationship with Moses and God's distant relationship with the people.

Exodus 19:
4 You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.

5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine;

6 and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”

-Remember His goodness, judgement and great grace! HE delivered you in great expressions of His power, at the cost of much judgement.

-obedience and faithfulness (keeping the covenant relationship) will release intimacy: you will know you are most precious and treasured. do we want to know that we are precious to God? do we want to increase in intimacy? All the earth is mine - You will know that I control all things, and that of all things that I own, you are special and specially loved.

-You shall be to me a kingdom of priests - we are seated in heavenly places - obedience releases the revelation and power to walk in that authority. obedience releases God's cleansing power to make us a holy nation.

-Priests have the privillaged position of drawing near to God - they can come close to Him, eat of his holy things, enjoy His presence and blessing.

No comments: