Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Son can do nothing on His own, but only what He sees the Father doing


John 5:19 NRSV
Jesus said to them, 
"Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on His own, 
but only what He sees the Father doing; 
for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise."


Most remarkable words from the mouth of the Son of man. 

John 5:26
For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.

Jesus was created to be self-existing and self-sufficient - to have life in Jesus's own self.

Yet He says I can do nothing on my own. Not I will do nothing on my own but I can do nothing on My own.

How much more can we do nothing, if the Son of God said 'I deeply need the Father for everything I do.' How deep is our need for God if the Son of Man Himself felt in His own humanity the deep need, the deep cry, the deep imperfection and the glory of man's design - that we were made for God through and through, we were made to need God.

In every layer of my person - I need the Father in every layer of my being - psychological, mental, emotive, in the seat of the affections, desires and goals, in my physical body. For what the Son of Man is trying to tell us is that mankind is made to depend on God alone and for everything.

I can do many things on my own but if my heart and mind is not set first and foremost on one thing - to love God and to act from the revelation of the Father, in seeking the real presence of my Father to come into every layer of my being and direct me and Father me, it amounts in eternity to nothing. Wood hay and straw which will not stand the fire.

His devotion is singular - He only does what He sees the Father doing. His imitation was entire. "Whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise." Every bit of the Father was studied extensively in detail, His face, His heart, His hands, His way, His voice, His tone, His love, His splendour, His power, His generosity, His graciousness and mercy with eyes and a heart of eager child-like affection.

The Father was experienced deeply in Jesus own soul, in prayer where He would seek His Father only and alone. He intimately knew His Father, in every step of life, in every need, in every challenge, in every step of His ministry - Jesus knew His Father's heart, for He took time to be with His Father.

The Father was then represented fully in detail. Every act, every word every teaching, every miracle, every gesture of kindness, power, love and mercy, was done in loving devotion and obedience to the detail of what the Father had showed Christ. No more and no less.

My heart cavernous and bereft
The wind howls through
The sound a Fury
Howling like hungry hunting dogs
Crying, longing, pleading for you.

We need a real and powerful experience of Father God to transform us from our deep places of our soul and Spirit. Let us continue to seek with persevering prayer to know our Father.

No comments: