Friday, August 19, 2016

"We Who Take Refuge" Hope for the weary in the journey of faith - Meditation on Hebrews 6

Hebrews 6:13-14 NASB
[13] For when God made the promise to Abraham, since He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself, [14] saying, "I WILL SURELY BLESS YOU AND I WILL SURELY MULTIPLY YOU."

Surely our future is blessed because God has sworn by Himself to bless us

No matter how rough things seem now

"We Who Take Refuge"

Hebrews 6:17-18 NASB
[17] In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, [18] so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.

The promise is for those who take refuge under the wings of almighty God, who draw near to Father to take Him as a shelter for our life. He is our source of security, our safe place. We who take the person of Jesus as our strength and our victory. We who find our Holiness Wisdom and Redemption in Jesus.

As we strive to take refuge, to hold on to God - it may be stormy- our hearts may be false and we feel our sincerity hollow, difficulties and trials may press us and attack us from behind, it sometimes feels like trouble assaults us from every direction.

But God wants us to know that over all the trouble is this oath, this security and promise which serves as a shield above us and around us- " I swore to Abraham that I would bless him and you through Jesus are an heir of Abraham" "I swear I will bless you".

It is a double layered shield of assurance which God wraps around us, His beloved. The first layer is His word which is unchanging - I have blessed you and will bless you because you are in Jesus- You are blessed with every blessing in the heavenly places in Christ (Ephesians). Gods word cannot break, cannot bend and it doesn't change. 

The second layer is His oath - "I swear by myself that I would bless you" "There is no one stronger higher or more powerful that I. I want to assure your heart of My blessing so I swore by Myself that I would bless you- do not cut yourself off from my promise or my word, be encouraged that you may lay hold of my promises and my hope that you may grow in me and keep on growing up into Christ through the provision of the Holy Spirit in your heart, giving you a real experience of My love and power and grace daily" 

It is all so that we may have hope, that we may not give up on this hard journey called the journey of faith, the journey to hold on to the gospel - the good news, the message of the Son of God who died for you and rose again to give everything to you- blessed are you if you hold fast the things which you heard from the beginning says apostle John (book of 1 john). 

Hold on to the word, the word is the good news of the Son of God, the word is the character and person of Jesus, Him, His person His presence is right there with you, His presence with you now- come to Him, believe in Him and be encouraged by His double layered assurance wrapped over you.

God 1) promises by His word to bless you and 2) swears He will bless you as you lay hold of Hope. Jesus is your living Hope. Things will be good for your future because eternal life is yours in Him. He undertakes to bless you now and always. He is your blessing and hope. The expectation of His goodness in your future fills your life because he has promised and sworn it.

Blessings- Isaac

No comments: