Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Personal Experience of God's Covenant Love

Psalms 139
8 If I make my bed in Sheol, behold you are there,
9 if I take the wings of the dawn and dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even Your right hand will lead me,
and Your right hand will lay hold of me.

In verse 8 he is talking I believe from experience, he was in the place of death, Sheol and yet God was there for him.

In verse 9 he is talking about impossibility. It is impossible to live at the bottom of the remotest part of the sea, but David has this revelation of a personal God who will never let him go because he has a covenant with this God.

‘Your right hand will lead me’, 'Your right hand will lay hold of me.’ ‘Where can I flee from Your Spirit’?. Far from being an impersonal omnipresent God, a God who is generally here and there and everywhere, he is talking about his own personal revelation of the Spirit of God who is upon him in every situation. “where can I go from Your Spirit’ in other words he is saying -where can I go from Your own personal revealing of who you are to me through Your very personal manifestation of your Spirit upon me?”

David has a knows through experience what we new testament believers know by promise - 'that I will never leave you nor forsake you.' But we also need that personal revelation the same experience that David had -that God's hand is upon me - it does not matter what circumstance I am in.

9 if I take the wings of the dawn and dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even Your right hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me. 
The right hand of God is God’s hand of blessing favor, power, intimacy and action. It is a personal revelation of a personal God who is totally with him in every circumstance, whether in an extraordinarily adverse situation or one which is totally impossible. All things are possible with God- When He is present, when His hand is manifest, every possibility, every hope every promise opens up.

Paraphrase of verses 13 and 14

‘Even when I was created you were there, you love every part of me, you were there for me, my friend in my childhood, so why would you leave me now?’

“God you have created every part of my body lovingly and you love me, so I shall rely on You as my strength.'


Christ’s Covenant Commitment

God is committed to His people through covenant. Covenant means the ultimate level of commitment. In bacon and eggs, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed. Covenant is commitment to the death, being committed to 'giving all of a person, even unto death’. The John legend song, 'all of me' illustrates well what covenant means and it is this commitment to His people. Covenant is what Christ is talking about when He takes up the bread and wine and says 'all of me is Yours. My body, my life, my blood, I am committed to you, my people.’

He did that so that we might place our faith in Him, so that we may commit all to Him unto death also, walking in His covenant. It is a partnership so inmate that whatever I need He provides, what ever He wants I will provide and do. It is a relationship that Goes beyond mere words into the deep places of the heart. Covenant intertwines its participants, its covenanters, its committed ones.

Covenants are multi-generational. As God had a covenant with Abraham, He was careful to pursue Isaac and Jacob also and re-establish that covenant relationship with Abraham's descendants. It is as if God is saying - I will be faithful to you and all your children to give all that I have to them, to bless them and teach them and pursue them so that I may cause them to walk in my ways because I have a covenant with Abraham, my friend. Because Abraham walked blamelessly in the covenant, the world was blessed and the nation of Israel though the generations unto our time. How we respond to God's covenant will impact many many others. Whether we choose to keep it and walk faithfully in it or choose to spurn it will impact our spiritual standing and the spiritual standing of multi-generations and have wide impact.

No comments: