Thursday, June 19, 2014

The difficulty of receiving an invisible God


Our common desire for a leader

Somehow in my walk with God over these 18 years, I have realised that I sub-consciously come to expect a superman, a man who would deliver me from the evil one, someone to depend upon to teach me the word of God, to tell me what to do in especially difficult circumstances. Someone greater than me, a ‘boss’, an adonai, a master to whom I can depend upon.

I have looked and looked and desired a mentor, someone who would teach me the ways of God and disciple me into faith, but to no avail. This is and has remained an unanswered prayer for a looong time in my life. What then? God gives us His mighty grace even when he does not do the thing we ask and desire and beg Him to do for His grace is sufficient for us.

Much like the children of Israel who again and again asked for someone a man other than God - for someone to intersperse themselves instead of the people, in the presence of the living God - God gave Moses, then Samuel then Saul, then David, but they would not have Him, God Himself as their God, for it is easier to trust something you can see and know, a man rather than to have faith and know the heart of God yourself. 

We are ever looking to idols for it is easier on our hearts and minds to have a God who is predictable, tangible, visible, rather than a God in heaven whom we cannot see!

A shift of mindset

Jesus, however has a different emphasis and a different goal in mind.

John 8

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do themThey tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their [a]phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garmentsThey love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi (teacher) by men. 

8 But do not be called Rabbi (teacher); for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 Do not be called [b]leaders; for One is your Leader,that is, Christ. 

The Holy Spirit has been given as our teacher to teach us all the ways and the truths of God. It is unnerving to have a teacher you cannot see. Not always convenient, nor is it predictable the things He would teach us, but yet He is there, ‘who leads us into all truth’.

Instead of expecting a superman to deliver me in difficult circumstances and from the assaults of evil. He wants for me to depend on one- My Father in heaven, for deliverance from evil comes from Him alone. 'Our Father in heaven… lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil’. His might and power are incomparable. And Jesus would have my faith, 'not in the wisdom of man but in the power of God.' To discover Gods power for my life, and depend on it first hand.

Instead of following the commands of a man who is flesh and blood whose voice I can hear audibly, He wants me to follow the commands of Christ, whose voice is oftentimes, but a whisper in my heart. And whose commands I need to take seriously. He will be my shield and protection. The greater one whom I follow.

Instead of drawing my nourishment - spiritually and emotionally from a man, He wants me to draw it from the mighty store of love within God’s wide chest, the mighty store of love that my Father has for me which overflows to my account when and if, I would seek Him and desire to be in his presence. I struggle oftentimes with my own weaknesses but God would - wants to, enfold me and become my strength in my struggles ‘be strong in the strength of God’ the supernatural strength of God which enfolds me in my weakness.


Is it always more convenient for a man to tell me what to do. For I can see, hear, touch and be touched by a man. But Yet God desires that I come to know this invisible God, by faith – which is at once easy but also at times, impossibly difficult. To know something of heavenly communion with Christ, and not settle for an idol of man, which sells short of the glorious comforts of God. To know that I am to be ultimately accountable to Him for every hour of how I live my life for He will judge before His throne and to grow strong in dependence on Him alone, thereby.

No comments: